BLACK SWAN 17 OPBULL 11
Post date: Oct 7, 2017 5:00:15 PM
BLACK SWAN 17 EXERCISE DIRECTOR
C.M. CURTIN, SPC (OH), HHC/2/4 OHMR
+1 614 398 0045
KD8TTE BEXLEY OH 43209
R 071700Z OCT 2017
FM NNO5HD OHMR OH
TO ALL BLACK SWAN 17 EXERCISE PARTICIPANTS
SUBJ: BLACK SWAN 17 OPBULL 11
- The simulated severe weather warning is to be transmitted to all BLACK SWAN 17 participants, complete with TEST / EXERCISE text, after 1700Z until 2100Z.
- Participants are to adjust local play to accommodate this activity where possible, e.g., SKYWARN may activate spotters, CERT may activate damage assessment teams, etc.
- Situation reports including simulated local severe weather and impact should be directed by TEST PRIORITY precedence radiogram to:
OHIO EOC W8SGT
COLUMBUS OH 43235
- Reports received will be integrated into future bulletins in exercise play.
- EXERCISE INFO: Several tornadoes already reported from Iowa through Ohio as part of this group of storms. Iowa and Illinois are now experiencing flash floods from severe rainfall. ARES activations seen throughout Ohio. Ohio emergency management and military assets have been called to alert in anticipation of need for rapid response. THIS IS AN EXERCISE.
- The remainder of this bulletin is text for transmission as instructed above.
TEST…TEST…TEST…IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
TEST…TEST…TEST…SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH NUMBER 999
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
100 PM EDT SAT OCT 7 2017
THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A
TEST SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF
EXTREME SOUTHEAST INDIANA
EXTREME NORTHERN KENTUCKY
MOST OF CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN OHIO
CENTRAL AND NORTHWEST WEST VIRGINIA
EFFECTIVE THIS SATURDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING FROM 100 PM UNTIL
800 PM EDT.
HAIL TO 2 INCHES IN DIAMETER...THUNDERSTORM WIND GUSTS TO 80
MPH...AND DANGEROUS LIGHTNING ARE POSSIBLE IN THESE AREAS.
THE SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH AREA IS APPROXIMATELY ALONG AND 80
STATUTE MILES NORTH AND SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 35 MILES WEST
NORTHWEST OF DAYTON OHIO TO 45 MILES EAST OF PARKERSBURG WEST
VIRGINIA. FOR A COMPLETE DEPICTION OF THE WATCH SEE THE
ASSOCIATED WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE (WOUS64 KWNS WOU6).
REMEMBER...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH MEANS CONDITIONS ARE
FAVORABLE FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS IN AND CLOSE TO THE WATCH
AREA. PERSONS IN THESE AREAS SHOULD BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR
THREATENING WEATHER CONDITIONS AND LISTEN FOR LATER STATEMENTS
AND POSSIBLE WARNINGS. SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAN AND OCCASIONALLY
DO PRODUCE TORNADOES.
DISCUSSION...A DEVELOPING MCS/BOW ECHO ACROSS INDIANA IS EXPECTED TO
MOVE ESEWD THROUGH THE AFTERNOON/EVENING AT ROUGHLY 50 KT. THE
STORM ENVIRONMENT DOWNSTREAM FEATURES STRONG INSTABILITY AND
SUFFICIENT DEEP-LAYER FLOW/SHEAR TO MAINTAIN AN ORGANIZED MCS...AND
THERE WILL BE THE POTENTIAL FOR WIDESPREAD DAMAGING WINDS /SOME
SIGNIFICANT/ WITH THIS BOWING SYSTEM THROUGH THIS EVENING.
AVIATION...A FEW SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WITH HAIL SURFACE AND ALOFT
TO 2 INCHES. EXTREME TURBULENCE AND SURFACE WIND GUSTS TO 70
KNOTS. A FEW CUMULONIMBI WITH MAXIMUM TOPS TO 650. MEAN STORM
MOTION VECTOR 29050.
THIS IS A TEST MESSAGE. DO NOT TAKE ACTION BASED ON THIS TEST
MESSAGE USED ONLY FOR A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM EXERCISE/SIMULATION.