Activation Notice May 30, 2020
Post date: May 29, 2020 11:41:48 AM
NR 3183 TEST P HXC KD8TTE NOGR BEXLEY OH 1145Z MAY 29
ALL COTN STATIONS
ARES COUNTY EC DELAWARE N8BHL
ARES COUNTY EC FAIRFIELD KD8SSJ
ARES COUNTY EC FAYETTE N8ORJ
ARES COUNTY EC FRANKLIN N8PVC
ARES COUNTY EC KNOX KD8WHQ
ARES COUNTY EC LICKING KD8SCL
ARES COUNTY EC MADISON N8ME
ARES COUNTY EC MARION KE8ECT
ARES COUNTY EC PICKAWAY KC8ITN
ARES COUNTY EC UNION KE8ANU
ARES DISTRICT EC District 7
NET MANAGER Buckeye Net
CENTRAL OHIO TRAFFIC NET
- Situation. ARRL Ohio Section ARES will be operating in support of Red Cross EmComm Nationwide Radio Simulation (“PART A”) on Saturday, May 30 from 0900 until 1200. County ARES organizations will be conducting on-air operations on their nets and need an outlet for exchange between counties and for the rest of the Section, and beyond.
- Mission. COTN will operate as the ARES District 7 net, accepting liaisons for each of the ARES District 7 counties and maintaining liaison to the ARRL Ohio Section.
- Intent. COTN will operate to provide a net for any ARES District 7 station to join to take incoming traffic and to release traffic headed out of its county. COTN will provide circuits for message relay within D7 and between D7 and the Ohio Section, which will in turn provide outlets to the rest of the amateur traffic system as needed.
- Concept of Operations.
- COTN will operate a net in support of all of ARES District 7, providing net control, section net liaison, and relay stations. The net will operate simplex, as the scenario calls for conditions that would leave the usual repeater systems unavailable.
- All exercise traffic will be handled as TEST PRIORITY unless otherwise designated.
- Representatives from ARES District 7 county nets will join COTN to receive and to release traffic. ECs will need to ensure they appoint representatives that can reach into Franklin County, either directly, or by relay.
- COTN will control the net with voice procedure. Net control will regularly direct stations on the net to make calls for stations or traffic, to ensure maximum coverage of the 10-county territory of Ohio ARES District 7.
- COTN will relay traffic through voice procedure or with NBEMS (fldigi, flmsg), as needed.
- COTN will accept traffic in arbitrary format. Amateur radiograms will be handled in the customary manner. Messages of other formats will be likewise routed, using digital procedure to send true copies of electronic messages.
- COTN will take exercise traffic to the Ohio Section through the Buckeye Net or Winlink, as directed by Net Control.
- Stations unable to make contact with COTN should go directly to Buckeye Net. If District 7 has many stations, Buckeye Net may direct all District 7 stations to a D7 subnet.
- Coordinating Instructions.
- Stations volunteering for net control and liaison duty shall do so by completing the online form at https://forms.gle/LKExKbyBCFUfp7qh7.
- This activation’s manager will organize the volunteers according to interest and capability in a schedule on the activation web site at http://www.cotn.us/2020ecnrs.
- All COTN operators are encouraged to join the net and to operate in support of net control and stations with traffic. Relay will be important: even a modest station may provide coverage to an area that will bring into the net a station that would otherwise be isolated.
- All record traffic will count as messages for the purpose of ARRL Public Service Honor Roll (PSHR) and Station Activity Reporting (SAR), as well as reporting of net activity.
- COTN operators will be self-sufficient.
- COTN operators will maintain detailed records of the traffic received and relayed, allowing for accounting and traceback as needed, for 90 days.
- Net control stations will provide session reports similar to SET sessions, reporting all stations in the net and precedence for all traffic moved.
- This activation is managed by Operations Officer Tom Miller W8RIH.
- Standard Signal Operating Instructions will apply.
- Incident Objectives (Form 202), Red Cross EmComm Nationwide Radio Simulation PART A (ARRL Ohio Section) https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dnwH3UdCtND7nwOF10mPxZ4DhfTeIB82A2IHMj8BtVE/edit?usp=sharing
- ARRL Ohio Section Message Routing Concept of Operations ARC May 30 Exercise [Rev E] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B41pJiLtPmritpJFPfz17cVdENHZVqpktYllm7AvnyA/edit?usp=sharing
- Introduction to Buckeye Net (Rev B). https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1jzEIBYkZg6Va5QJhudQyYwhBAjwFyaFCsX8snuEjrnE/edit?usp=sharing
- Central Ohio Traffic Net Standard Operating Procedures. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Sx6bAaTcB0vacSqnN86_CAfJju6gGasjroOG45S0caQ/edit?usp=sharing
This activation is for an exercise.
KD8TTE NET MANAGER COTN